LIBERAL Democrat leader Nick Clegg has been named Deputy Prime Minister in a historic UK coalition government.
Backed by the Olive Press, ‘El Clegg’ reached a landmark deal with the Conservatives to power share.
After no party gained an absolute majority, Clegg sided with the Tories to oust Gordon Brown from the top job.
David Cameron has now been named Prime Minister – ending 13 years of Labour rule.
Clegg – married to Spaniard Miriam Gonzalez – called for the most in-depth, thorough and relevant green legislation of any of the competing parties.
Having won this newspaper’s vote, the Lib Dems have now agreed to form the UK’s first coalition government since the Second World War.
Multilingual Clegg – who has three Spanish-named children – said: “I hope that this is the start of the new politics I always believed in.
“We are politicians, clearly, of different political parties, but I believe we are now united in wishing to tackle the immense challenges this country faces and deliver a fairer, better Britain.”
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58