By Wendy Williams
MICHELLE Obama has been dubbed a modern-day ´Marie Antoinette´ for her multi-million euro trip to Spain.
The American press has criticised the US President´s wife for her five-day break in Andalucia, which has required a high level of security and hotel costs of at least 50,000 euros a night.
Yesterday, New York Daily Times columnist Andrea Tantaros likened the First Lady to the French queen who was famous for her extravagant lifestyle.
She wrote: “What the Obama’s do with their money is one thing; what they do with ours is another.
“It’s the extravagance of Michelle Obama’s trip and glitzy destination contrasted with President Obama’s demonization of the rich that smacks of hypocrisy.
“It perpetuates a disconnect between the country and its leaders.”
The exact cost of the trip is unclear as Mrs Obama and her friends are reportedly footing part of the bill themselves.
But what the First Lady is definitely not paying for is the 68-strong security team, her personal staff – and the use of presidential jet Air Force Two.
Other US media outlets insist that the antics of the First Lady swanning around Spain trailed by an extensive entourage is a far cry from President Obama’s inaugural speech that preached sacrifice.
But while some in the US are critical Spain can’t get enough of her.
Mrs Obama, and daughter, Sasha, arrived in Granada yesterday to be greeted by hundreds of people shouting ‘Obama!’ and ‘guapa!’ as they entered the cathedral.
Together with their friends and security in tow, they visited the Alhambra Palace, the 16th century cathedral and the historic Albaicin neighbourhood.
To end the day Michelle put on her dancing shoes and delighted the audience as she tried out some moves at a flamenco performance by Juan Andres Maya.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00