By Wendy Williams
LISTED buildings have been reduced to rubble in the historical town of Mijas.
Alternativa Mijeña, a residents association, has publicly denounced the act, considering it to be an attack on the historical and artistic heritage of the town.
According to the group, it is nonsense that the council (PSOE) should have permitted the demolition of a protected property.
And, they argue, this destruction is bad for tourism.
They say: “It is consolidating a policy of environmental deterioration on a large scale, of the local vernacular architecture of the Old Town, one of the major assets in attracting tourism”.
The now demolished houses, situated in street Casas Nuevas, formed part of a Catalogue of Protected buildings approved by the PGOU in 2005.
And they were in a good state of conservation before they were knocked down.
According to Alternativa Mijeña, it is this which makes the destruction all the more serious.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00