By Nicola Cowell
BRITISH workers union Unite say they will protest against the mayor’s plans to charge visitors to Gibraltar a toll to pass through his town.
Alejandro Sanchez plans to charge every car five euros to cross the border of La Linea, which would mean an estimated 30million euros for the struggling town.
But Unite have written to local political parties to ask them to support a march from Casemates to the border, which they say will take place on September 23 unless the Mayor officially pulls out by September 15.
And the plans have already hit a snag after public works authority Fomento denied him permission to change traffic flow at the border to make room for toll booths.
Director of Roads in Western Andalucia Miguel Angel Schmolling said the works application, which La Linea council previously made to improve drainage and sewage, has expired and will not be extended.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27