By Wendy Williams
A BRITISH woman has been left with a broken skull and severe burns after an explosion at a Marbella hotel.
Carol Gardener, 53, was left unconscious after being hit by a steam pipe which exploded outside the Cortijo Blanco hotel.
Her friend Julie Loud, 45, also suffered a serious leg injury in the blast.
The blast happened as the two women and their husbands, from Weston-super-Mare, walked along a side street next to the three-star hotel on their way to the beach in Puerto Banus.
Andy Loud, who was walking ahead of the women at the time of the explosion, said at first he thought a bomb had gone off.
“There was this huge bang and the ground shook and I was covered in clouds of dust which blocked off everything,” he said.
“Pete and I called out Carol’s name but we didn’t get a reply. When the dust cleared I saw her lying unconscious on the ground by the steam pipes.
“There was blood streaming out of her head and leg.”
Carol was airlifted to a hospital in Malaga where she is said to be in a critical condition and on a ventilator.
Her two children Darren and Tanya have flown to Spain to be with her and her husband Pete, 56.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58