TO British holidaymakers it’s just the latest daredevil stunt.
But with four dead and more than 30 serious accidents in just two months, the dangerous craze of jumping from balconies into the hotel pool is getting completely out of control.
So serious is the problem that the emergency services have been forced to issue a warning over the lethal stunt, being fuelled by reckless teenage holidaymakers, mostly from the UK.
‘Balconing’ – as it has been dubbed – is a growing problem in Spanish resorts, with the number of accidents already triple that of previous summers.
And in the space of just 12 crazy hours, the emergency services had to rush three people to hospital after three different jumps.
Most of the victims are young Brits, although the craze is also popular with Spaniards and Germans.
Internet video site YouTube has come under fire after countless clips of people leaping from balconies were uploaded in recent months.
According to a hotel receptionist in Alcudia, Mallorca, groups of drunken youngsters return after a night out and try to keep the party going by taking part in the deadly stunt.
“This year it has become a real plague,” she said.
According to Sebastian Darder, a spokesman for the Balearic Islands’ hoteliers’ association, all reported incidents of balconing were the result of drunkenness.
Now the emergency services have issued a warning in an attempt to clamp down on the craze and many hotel owners in the Balearic Islands have increased the height of the railings to try to deter it.
But the problem persists and the authorities are resigned to the fact that there is no way to stop it.
As one Majorcan policeman explained: “When the year’s first holidaymaker has fallen from a balcony, we know the summer has started.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00