By Wendy Williams
SEVILLA is set to host the first stage of this year’s Vuelta a España bike race.
And to mark the 75th anniversary of the race, organisers have included a special twist as the first stage will be a team time trail held at night.
The event, held on Saturday 28 August, will begin near the La Maestranza bullring at 10pm with organisers expecting the 14 km stage to finish just before midnight.
Then on Sunday, for the second stage of the three-week race, the peloton will travel across Sevilla, Cadiz and Malaga as they make the 173km journey from Alcalá de Guadaíra through Ronda downhill to Marbella.
Due to the late start on Saturday, and to give the riders a bit of time to recuperate, stage two will begin at 1.30pm.
Although Spanish rider Alberto Contador will not be racing following his victory in the Tour de France, the Vuelta has attracted some big names from the cycling world including Carlos Sastre, the Schleck brothers, and British rider Mark Cavendish.
And this year’s favourite to win the race when it comes to an end on 19 September in Madrid, is Russian cyclist Denis Menchov, who recently came third in the Tour de France and has won the Vuelta a España twice before.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00