By Wendy Williams
ALBERT Einstein once asked, “How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?”
Well, now researchers are trying to find out.
It has long been maintained that the intense passion of a new romance fizzles out after a period of between 18-months and three years.
But in a US study, it has been found that young love and long term love are actually very similar.
When shown a photo of their partner, couples who had been married an average of 21 years showed similar brain activity to those who had just fallen in love.
But crucially they lacked the obsessive component that leads to feelings of uncertainty and anxiety.
California doctor Dr Acevedo, who led the study, explained: “Passionate or obsessive love includes feelings of uncertainty and anxiety.
“This kind of love helps drive the shorter relationships, but not the longer ones.”
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27