A BRITISH MP, who blocked access paths to dozens of her neighbours’ homes in Spain, may now face criminal charges over the alleged abuse of expenses.
Margaret Moran – who has had a home in Andalucia since 1984 – will be prosecuted after wrongly claiming expenses to renovate various second homes in the UK.
The Labour politician, who was forced to resign, ‘flipped’ her second homes over four years, spending thousands of pounds on decorating each one in turn.
She even claimed a staggering £22,500 for dry rot treatment at her property in Southampton, just a fraction less than the maximum allowance available for the whole year.
The Olive Press reported how the Labour politician had also wrongly used official House of Commons notepaper to warn neighbours off public footpaths through her land three years ago.
She even had the audacity to sue the paper and put the 800 euro bill through as official expenses.
She later lost the right to close off the footpaths on her estate, near Orgiva, Granada.
She is now part of an official police investigation with detectives having spent several months looking into her claims.
And Moran is now expected to be charged within weeks making her the fifth Labour politician to face court over the expenses scandal.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00