A BRITISH MP, who blocked access paths to dozens of her neighbours’ homes in Spain, may now face criminal charges over the alleged abuse of expenses.
Margaret Moran – who has had a home in Andalucia since 1984 – will be prosecuted after wrongly claiming expenses to renovate various second homes in the UK.
The Labour politician, who was forced to resign, ‘flipped’ her second homes over four years, spending thousands of pounds on decorating each one in turn.
She even claimed a staggering £22,500 for dry rot treatment at her property in Southampton, just a fraction less than the maximum allowance available for the whole year.
The Olive Press reported how the Labour politician had also wrongly used official House of Commons notepaper to warn neighbours off public footpaths through her land three years ago.
She even had the audacity to sue the paper and put the 800 euro bill through as official expenses.
She later lost the right to close off the footpaths on her estate, near Orgiva, Granada.
She is now part of an official police investigation with detectives having spent several months looking into her claims.
And Moran is now expected to be charged within weeks making her the fifth Labour politician to face court over the expenses scandal.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00