IT was the sort of unprecedented access that you would never get today.
A little-known Welsh photographer, Charles Clifford, got to spend a month touring Andalucía with Spain’s Queen Isabel.
Now in a fabulous exhibition, dozens of the stunning images of the royal sojourn are being put on display in Cordoba.
Clifford, who was born in Wales in 1819 and lived in Madrid from 1850, is considered by many to have been
the greatest 19th century photographer in Spain.
In 1858 he started to work for her majesty Isabel II de Bourbon, travelling with her on her regular journeys around Spain and abroad.
He was even commissioned by Isabel to pay a visit to Windsor Castle to photograph Queen Victoria.
In a brilliant diary entry, the British queen recalled the day writing that she had dressed in evening dress, “with diadem & jewels” to be photographed for Mr Clifford.
She added: “He brought me one of her, taken by him.”
A year later, in 1862 he took the feted Andalucia tour, which has a wide selection of urban landscapes and monuments including the emblematic Alhambra and Mezquita.
The exhibition runs at the Antonio Gala Foundation, in Cordoba until November 5.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00