IT was the sort of unprecedented access that you would never get today.
A little-known Welsh photographer, Charles Clifford, got to spend a month touring Andalucía with Spain’s Queen Isabel.
Now in a fabulous exhibition, dozens of the stunning images of the royal sojourn are being put on display in Cordoba.
Clifford, who was born in Wales in 1819 and lived in Madrid from 1850, is considered by many to have been
the greatest 19th century photographer in Spain.
In 1858 he started to work for her majesty Isabel II de Bourbon, travelling with her on her regular journeys around Spain and abroad.
He was even commissioned by Isabel to pay a visit to Windsor Castle to photograph Queen Victoria.
In a brilliant diary entry, the British queen recalled the day writing that she had dressed in evening dress, “with diadem & jewels” to be photographed for Mr Clifford.
She added: “He brought me one of her, taken by him.”
A year later, in 1862 he took the feted Andalucia tour, which has a wide selection of urban landscapes and monuments including the emblematic Alhambra and Mezquita.
The exhibition runs at the Antonio Gala Foundation, in Cordoba until November 5.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00