THERE are twice as many unsold houses in the Malaga province than previously thought.
According to a new study by bank CatalunyaCaixa, as of mid-2010 there were 44,000 unsold houses in Malaga, the highest number in Andalucia.
Figures from the Ministry of Housing, which are based on older data, show only 22,500 such homes.
Moreover, although the housing stock appears to have reached its peak, supply and demand will take years, if not decades, to balance.
The net amount of Malaga’s unsold houses fell by only 400 homes from the first quarter of the year, says CatalunyaCaixa.
This means 4.65 per cent of all houses in the Malaga province are currently unsold, with majority concentrated along the Costa del Sol.
Only Almeria has higher ratio in Andalucia, with 6 per cent of its total stock left unwanted.
The housing glut in southern Spain, however, is dwarfed by the shocking situation in Valencia.
The three provinces comprising a region have 208,000 unwanted houses between themselves.
For the northern province of Castellon these houses represents an eye watering 21 per cent of its total housing stock.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00