IT is his first holiday abroad since he became Prime Minister, but David Cameron looks just like any other tourist.
This week he whisked his wife away for a two day bargain break in Granada to celebrate Samantha’s 40th birthday on April 18.
Shunning the publicity that other celebrity visitors have courted – such as Michelle Obama last summer – the pair chose to fly with budget airline Ryanair and stay in a three-star hotel in the Realejo, the ancient Jewish quarter of the city.
After a two-hour flight to Malaga the pair was driven to Granada, where yesterday morning they visited the stunning Alhambra palace.
Mingling with the other tourists – hand in hand, in casual clothes and escorted by national police in civilian clothes – the Cameron’s could be seen stopping to take money from the ATM before indulging in some local cuisine.
But there was no fanfare to mark their arrival.
Restaurant owner María Angustias del Castillo explained: “They didn’t book a table, just half an hour before they came their security guards came to warn of their arrival.”
On the menu was porra Antequerana for a starter with alpujarreño for main, all washed down with a glass of red wine for David and rose for Samantha.
Angustais, who said the pair was nice and friendly, added: “For dessert they asked for tiramisu. The couple was quiet and just enjoyed the wonderful views from here of the Alhambra.”
The pair’s secret visit – which ends today – comes just days after the Prince of Wales and Camilla also took a sojourn around Andalucía that ended with a stay at the Dehesa Baja estate in Illora.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46