By Wendy Williams
MOVED by the energy of the mountains and the beauty of the Alpujarras, a group of international artists formed a cooperative to help the dozens of struggling artists who live in the area.
One year on and Alpuajarra: Arte Vivo has proved to be a success with a monthly art and craft market in Orgiva and an annual exhibition in Granada.
Launched in 2010, the Mercado de las Artes showcases the works of over two dozen artisans from around the region.
Including a huge range of works from paintings and ceramics to woodwork and jewellery, there is also interactive workshops and live music.
Jeannette Claessen, a sculptor, explained: “Since the beginning of the market we have put a lot of attention into the quality of the products we sell and we try to present a good atmosphere to the public.
“Participating in an association with other artists and handicraft producers we have the opportunity to work together and develop new things in cooperation.
“The powerful energy of the mountains, the quiet and the beauty give us a creative energy which I don’t feel anywhere else,” added the Dutch woman.
“We want to show that everybody has the capacity to create beauty and that beauty matters and contributes to the quality of daily life.”
Her colleague Angel Vera, who has his own workshop in the Poqueira gorge, added: “We work together as a team and help support and promote each other.”
The art market takes place at Plaza de la Alpujarra in Orgiva on the first Saturday of each month
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46