A 109 million euro plan to expand Marbella’s fishing port has finally been given the green light.
The long planned transformation of La Bajadilla into one of the most luxurious marinas on the Mediterranean can now take shape after the Junta de Andalucia, Marbella town hall and The Nasir Bin Abdullah & Sons Consortium signed a contract allowing construction to begin.
The move comes just weeks after the Andalucian High Court overruled objections to the scheme – submitted by Sheikh Abdullah Al-Tani, a member of the Quatari Royal family and owner of Malaga CF – that it would cause irreversible damage to Marbella.
Work will now being within six months and will see the port undergo intense renovation and rescaling to make it ready to receive cruise liners and other large ships.
In particular the plan, which is expected to take four years to complete and will create 750 jobs, includes a commercial area of 23,000 square meters, car parking with around 250 spaces, a five star hotel and three times the current number of moorings.
It marks the first public private partnership to finance a sports marina in Spain and will give the contractor development rights for 40 years.
According to the mayor of Marbella, Angeles Munoz, the scheme will also attract other projects to the Costa del Sol town and is particularly welcome in the current economic climate.
“It is a great opportunity not to be missed,” she said.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46