AN all day fundraising telethon has brought in a mammoth 32,000 euros for struggling cancer charity Cudeca.
The annual event organized by Talk Radio Europe (TRE) – and sponsored by the Olive Press – smashed all previous records, beating last years do by a massive 8,000 euros.
“We are over the moon,” said TRE boss Steve Gilmour. “We had raised just under 31,000 euros by 10 pm last night, and are expecting at least another 1,000 to come in.
“Bids came in from all over Spain, including Mallorca, and even the UK.
“It was by far the most successful telethon to date with the highest level of bids on line to date, the highest amount of phoned in bids and the highest bid to actual value ever achieved on items.
“So, on behalf of Cudeca, and all of us here thanks so much to the Olive Press and its readers for the support…all the coverage and awareness definitely helped to make the difference!”
The radio station dedicated the whole of Friday to the event with much of the Costa del Sol and many other parts of Spain’s expat community listening in.
The hospice in Benalmadena has hundreds of patients with an average life expectancy of around a month. It was the first to set up in Malaga – by Briton Joan Hunt – but mostly survives off donations.
Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke described his ‘pride’ at being involved.
“Cudeca is one the most positive things that us expatriates have brought to Andalucia over the last century.
“What its team of mostly volunteers do is little short of amazing and largely, it should be pointed out, for Spanish patients. We are very happy to have helped to have achieve this record sum and fittingly in the run up to Christmas.”
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00