SPAIN’S King has hit out the “unacceptable” unemployment rate the country is currently suffering.
King Juan Carlos has called for the country to unite to pull through its economic hardship, with the unemployment rate at over 21 per cent.
“We all know that the path of recovery will not be short nor easy, that it will require sacrifices,” he said in his Christmas broadcast. “It is a crisis that is surely set to change our economic and social habits.”
And in reference to a corruption scandal that is currently embroiling his son in law he censured “irregular conduct” by public officials.
“I am enormously worried by the lack of trust that seems to be spreading in some sectors of public opinion with regard to the credibility and prestige of some of our institutions,” the King, 73, said in his televised address.
“All, absolutely all people with public responsibilities, have a duty to observe appropriate conduct,” he added.
In the scandal, judges are investigating alleged corruption involving a charitable organisation formerly run by Inaki Urdangarin, 43, the Duke of Palma de Mallorca.
Urdangarin, a former Olympic handball player, is married to the King’s youngest daughter, Princess Cristina.
The royal palace this month froze Urdangarin out of its official activities.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00