IT was a classic mistake that any newcomer to Spain could have easily made.
But it was one that budding writer Georgia Willetts, 12, remembers as if it was yesterday.
Settling down to a fabulous spread of local foods to celebrate her first Andalucia Day at the age of four, how could she have known that it was olive oil in a bottle?
Mistaking it for honey she ladled it on her bread, leading to one of the biggest shocks of her short life.
Her reminiscence of the day have at least led to a happy outcome with the La Cala-based expat winning the Olive Press OPX’s writing competition.
The Lancashire lass, who attends EIC school in Marbella, impressed the judges with her warm and funny tale, which really summed up cultural differences between the UK and Spain.
“I am really happy,” said Georgia, who admits she now likes olive oil. “The story reminded me of being little.
“I just thought I would enter and see if I won. It is really exciting.”
Georgia, who lives with her mum Christine and dad Ken, has now won two flights to England with Monarch airlines.
“I’ll probably take my mum,” said Georgia. “I prefer living in Andalucia but I miss family and friends in England.”
Meanwhile mum Christine added: “We’re very proud of her.
“We told her school EIC who are also chuffed… they didn’t even know she had entered.”
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10