IN six years it is undoubtedly the saddest, most tragic story we have had to cover.
Seeing the wonderful Costa del Sol ripped apart by the biggest fire on record has been heart-wrenching in the extreme.
Not only have people died and 224 homes suffered damage – many of them completely destroyed – but the beautiful hills above the coast will be scarred for decades.
Parks and gardens have been lost, while thousands of wild animals have been killed.
The Olive Press would like to express its most heartfelt sympathy to those whose lives have been ripped apart by the fires, and support any effort to help rebuild the community.
Upsetting and tough as it is, we must now all work together to try and draw positives from an awful situation.
Let us take comfort from the heartwarming army of expat volunteers who are working flat out to make a difficult situation more bearable to others.
Websites set up to help, donations flooding in … and even a special concert have been created all with the intention of helping others make it through.
Onwards and upwards, everyone – we must work to rebuild the Costa del Sol and use this temporary fracture to make us even stronger.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10