DESPITE the UK government insisting it has countless millions in state benefits available for those in need of extra income, it does little to help people actually claim it.
The complex benefits system and the confusing nature of forms frequently puts a lot of people off making a claim.
Ignorance of what one’s entitlement might be, added to the worry that claiming one benefit may lead to a cut in other income can further deter would-be claimants.
Certain benefits are, indeed, related to income and savings but others such as Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Attendance Allowance (AA) – which relate to mobility and personal care problems – are not means-tested and non-taxable.
They can also act as a gateway to further benefits or increase in benefits such as Income Support and Pension Credit.
The rules concerning entitlement for those living in Spain used to be complicated and depended, in part, on where you were habitually resident. However, rule changes now mean that claiming benefits is much easier.
At a time when so much emphasis seems to be placed on benefit fraud, it may be comforting for people to know that perfectly legal and legitimate claims may be made while living overseas.
Kim Clark spent seven years working with welfare rights in London before moving to Andalucia six years ago. Contact him on 663 297568 or visit www.ukbenefitsinspain.com
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36