THE chairman of a leading radio station in Spain has hit out at the government for the recent closure of Coastline FM.
In an open letter to Jose Manuel Soria Lopez, the ministry for industry, energy and tourism, Martin Nathan, chairman of Talk Radio Europe, slams the Junta for forcing the closure of Coastline FM-one of the longest running on the Costa del Sol.
The Olive Press recently reported how the 24-year-old radio station had been forced to close down earlier this month after being ordered to stop transmitting by the Junta.
It is thought the move was made because the station did not have a terrestrial broadcasting license.
In the scathing letter, Mr Nathan accuses the Junta of ‘increasing unemployment’ and adding to the ‘burden on social security’ by allowing viable businesses, like Coastline FM, to close down.
He goes on to state that many of these radio stations boost tourism and are ‘essential to the well-being’ of the community they serve.
He criticises the introduction of the Audiovisual Communications Act in 2010 which left scores of radio stations, mostly serving the English speaking communities, unlicensed and unlawful over night.
He said: “As the law stands independent radio stations are being shut down without ever having the opportunity to regularise their situation-an act that is constitutionally indefensible”
He added: “We urge the government to act quickly to reverse this unfair law and prevent further avoidable unemployment and misery.”
- Junta de Andalucia accused of human rights abuses - 25 Apr, 2013 @ 15:07
- Mammoth wasp nest found in abandoned property - 25 Apr, 2013 @ 14:58
- Shamed Spanish councillor goes topless - 21 Apr, 2013 @ 11:49
- See you later alligator! - 19 Apr, 2013 @ 11:20
- Not on our doorsteps! - 14 Apr, 2013 @ 10:32
- ‘Help us access our homes’, plead pensioners - 13 Apr, 2013 @ 10:57
- Lanzarote child abduction: Man arrested - 12 Apr, 2013 @ 13:41
- Big cats are back - 11 Apr, 2013 @ 17:27
- March sees worst rainfall in 60 years in Andalucia - 31 Mar, 2013 @ 09:01
- Feared and celebrated bull in Spain has died - 30 Mar, 2013 @ 08:50