A COMMUNITY has rallied together to help an expat after his house burned down.
Jatar resident George Payne, 65, told the Olive Press how locals have supplied him with clothes, food and other necessities following the blaze which left him homeless.
“The people of the village have been so good to me, they’ve offered me lots of things and anything I can’t afford they said they will help me out with it,” said Payne who has lived in the village since 2006.
“People have given me clothes, brought furniture round and the town hall even supplied tiles for my kitchen,” added the expat, whose home, near Granada, was apparently deliberately set ablaze.
Yesterday, one villager also brought the pensioner a CD player so he is able to listen to music as he begins work on making his home liveable again.
“I have been working from seven in the morning until it goes dark,” said the retired military man, who is now living in one of the rooms of the house.
The expat had left his house to go shopping when a friend notified him that a small fire had been put out in his living room by local firefighters.
Payne returned to the property but after leaving again the expat was told that a second blaze had been started just two hours later.
“As far as I know I have no enemies, it’s a very quiet village and this is really unusual,” said Payne.
The police have refused to investigate the fire further unless he is able to identify the assailant.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36