MOJACAR’S infamously strict mayor has started sending police on the beach to confiscate alcohol.
It comes after right wing PP mayor, Rosa Maria Cano, became internationally famous after calling for a ban on playing dominoes last month, insisting the game was ‘too noisy’.
Now, locals and tourists are being forced to have their bags and cool-boxes searched after Cano announced a zero-tolerance approach to drinking on the beach.
The mayor, who has already carved a reputation for herself, has also prohibited taking any beverages purchased from a chiringuito on to the sand.
Tourists spoke of their shock after watching four local police officers search the belongings of families and couples.
Maria Gonzalez, who had driven down from Murcia for the weekend, said she would ‘never come back’ to the town following her treatment from the police.
One local expat, who watched the commotion, said the police spent half an hour on the beach before disposing of any alcoholic drinks discovered.
- Leonardo DiCaprio flying high on vacation in Ibiza - 12 Aug, 2013 @ 09:14
- You CAN get sunburned while driving in the car… with the windows up! - 12 Aug, 2013 @ 09:01
- Delicious treats at half the calories - 11 Aug, 2013 @ 08:11
- Gay bars in Andalucia ban vodka - 10 Aug, 2013 @ 09:00
- Ne-Yo spotted all over Marbella - 9 Aug, 2013 @ 11:46
- Man arrested for filming nude sunbathers with a hidden camera - 8 Aug, 2013 @ 12:33
- Spanish paedophile re-arrested as he entered Spain - 7 Aug, 2013 @ 12:03
- Fishing dispute leads to the most draconian clampdown in recent Gibraltar history - 7 Aug, 2013 @ 11:08
- Eva Longoria hosts charity golf tournament in Marbella - 6 Aug, 2013 @ 15:08
- El Torcal is semi-finalist for top award of sites in Spain - 5 Aug, 2013 @ 15:48