THE MARBELLA Security Council has hit out at claims police in the area have been under resourced this summer, saying there has in fact been an increased police presence over the past few months.
Felix Romero said officers have been working more hours during the summer season, and both the national and local squads have been operating at full capacity.
He spoke out following accusations by the Partido Socialista Obrero Espanola (PSOE) the area was under policed and the resources they were using substandard.
Romero said: “The equipment used by the local police is always in perfect condition, and if there is a problem it is quickly resolved.
“The general perception is it has been a safe summer, and there has been fewer incidents this summer than in recent years, despite the increase in tourists in the area.”
He said the accusations were made in a bid to compromise the area’s image as an attractive tourist destination.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40