A COSTA del Sol journalist has gone on trial today at Norwich Crown Court accused of a string of sex offences.
Mike Souter, a former Sur in English travel writer, is accused of being a ‘deviant sexual abuser’ of children.
Souter, 60, who lives in La Cala de Mijas, is accused of molesting seven boys aged between 11 and 16, between 1979 and 1999.
Prosecutor Andrew Shaw explained Souter had cultivated his connections to the Scout movement as well as working with Norfolk County Council to work with vulnerable children.
He said: “The significance of his work, and his involvement with the Scouts and social services, is that these roles brought Mr Souter into regular contact with pliable young boys, and very often with pliable young boys who were among society’s most vulnerable.”
He added: “We say Mr Souter is a deviant sexual abuser of young boys, especially those in uniform and shorts.”
Souter, who also has a house in Loddon in Norfolk, arrived at court wearing a charcoal grey suit with a blue shirt and blue tie.
He had previously worked in radio at BBC Norfolk, and became something of a local celebrity before moving to the Costa del Sol over a decade ago.
Souter has also previously been accused of a sexual assault on a man and a woman.
The trial continues.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40