PRIME MINISTER Mariano Rajoy will make his case Tuesday to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce for greater U.S. investment in Spain.
U.S. President Barack Obama expressed his full backing for the reforms Rajoy has implemented during a meeting at the White House.
Obama praised Rajoy for his “great leadership” in helping Spain deal with a severe economic downturn.
The U.S. president noted that Spain still faces great challenges, especially the high number of jobless people in the country, and Rajoy said he would continue working to create jobs.
Rajoy’s economic reform policies and the performance of Spain’s economy, which grew 0.30% in the fourth quarter of 2013, will be front and center during his appearance at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Representatives of large Spanish corporations and the Spanish Business Council for Competitiveness, or CEC, will accompany the prime minister on his visit to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the world’s largest business organization.
The United States is the No. 1 export destination for Spanish goods outside Europe and the top investor in Spain.
Rajoy will deliver a message of optimism about Spain’s economy, contrasting the current situation with what conditions were like just a year ago, when there was still talk that his country might need a bailout.
The prime minister is scheduled to meet Tuesday with Organization of American States Secretary-General Jose Miguel Insulza.
Rajoy will also meet with representatives of leading U.S. media outlets, wrapping up his official agenda with a visit to the U.S. Capitol.
The Spanish prime minister will meet at the Capitol with members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40