IT may have been the season of peace and goodwill to all men, but there was precious little festive cheers to be found on the border.
As the temperature dropped, pedestrians were once again forced to spend hours queueing in the cold to cross into Spain. The worst nights were on December 18 and 20, when it took up to three hours to get across the border.
It says a lot for the spirit of those caught in the chaos that no major problems broke out. Some could even see the humorous side. “ I’ve meet some great people there,” said Kevin Noble “It’s a nice way to spend a couple of hours after a hard day at work.”
In another development, members of an elite Spanish customs squad, identifiable by their black berets, stopped pedestrians at the border. They allegedly asked people how much money they were intending to spend in Gibraltar and even asked why they were not shopping in Spain.
Meanwhile, the Defenders of Gibraltar launched their own mascot for the queue. Meet Coney, who they say will be keeping an eye on the border!
- Summer on the Costa del Sol may have to be spent indoors to avoid beach hut blazes and killer bacteria, writes Giles Brown - 12 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- OSP is not just a political party, writes Giles Brown, who has slowly watched the decline of San Pedro - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 12:00
- Giles Brown thought he had left his brushes with the law back in the 1980s - 10 Mar, 2019 @ 10:31
- An idyllic cottage by the lake in Andalucia gave Giles Brown a bit more than he bargained for - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:30
- Loud and Clear: The Costa del Sol Boar Wars have begun says Giles Brown - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- PROTEST WITH NO BULL: Why new year is the perfect time to campaign for change on the Costa del Sol - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- Giles Brown is stuck in ‘festive no man’s land’ - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 09:00
- What NOT to do at your office Christmas party in Spain - 21 Dec, 2018 @ 12:00
- Guests got more than they bargained for at Gibraltar’s Fawlty Towers dinner - 24 Nov, 2018 @ 19:00
- EXCLUSIVE : the Olive Press has Breakfast with Berkoff - 10 Nov, 2018 @ 11:01