LA Plaza de Toros Monumental, Barcelona’s former major bullfighting stadium, may become the world’s largest mosque outside the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.
According to Mowafak Kanfach of the Islamic Federation of Catalonia, Qatari emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani plans to invest €2.2 billion for the conversion project.
The mosque, which is set to have a 300-metre high minaret, would sit just 750 metres from Gaudi’s famous church La Sagrada Familia.
As a bullfighting ring, La Plaza Monumental seated 25,000, but Qatari emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani has plans to extend its capacity to host 40,000 worshippers.
This would mean that it could host roughly 80% of Barcelona’s Muslim population at a time. At 50,000, Barcelona has one of the largest Muslim populations of any Spanish city, equaling that of Marbella, Valencia, and Fuengirola.
The project still awaits both sale of the stadium and municipal approval, but Kanfach cites Qatar Airways’ sponsorship of the Barcelona football club, as well as Qatari armed forces’ recent purchase of a five-star hotel in Barcelona, as reasons the plan may be bolstered.
In spite of extant financial ties, the leader of the People’s Party of Catalonia, Alberto Fernandez Diaz, vocally opposes the plan, expressing wariness of engaging in such a project with “people and countries” which hold “values that collide with our own.”
In addition to nearly a century of bullfighting, La Plaza Monumental hosted major musical artists such as the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and Bruce Springsteen.
Since the final bullfight in September 2011, aside from scattered circus performances and shows, La Plaza Monumental has been largely disused.
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05
- World Dance Day Saturday 13th April 2019 - 12 Apr, 2019 @ 16:38
- 10 Incredible Ways Technology Will Change Education By 2028 - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 14:30
- Airlines in Europe could soon be forced to fork out €1,400 for every piece of lost luggage - 7 Apr, 2019 @ 10:31
- Spain has one of smallest number of food-related deaths in world - 6 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00