ONE of the UK’s most wanted men has been arrested in Benidorm while playing poker.
Suspected drug smuggler Robert Knight was finally busted by armed police in a bar in the town of Calpe, after more than six years on the run.
The 53-year-old, from Walsall in the UK, was named last year as one of 13 of Britain’s most-wanted who were thought to be hiding out in Spain.
Knight is believed to be a member of an organised crime group, primarily involved with drug trafficking, according to Hank Cole, the head of international operations for the National Crime Agency.
“He had been on the run for a number of years but we were able to track him down,” added Cole.
He is thought to be connected to the seizure of 6kg of cocaine at Heathrow Airport in the UK, in April 2008, for which five other men were jailed.
But police have been hunting Knight ever since.
Inspector Dave Simpson said: “I am delighted that Knight has been caught, it has been a long time coming.
“This just demonstrates that there is no hiding place for criminals andwe will work with police forces from other countries along with the National Crime Agency to seek them out,” he added.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05