A FIRE on a luxury yacht in Puerto Banus has seen two crew members rushed to hospital and brought traffic in the elite resort to a standstill.
Early reports indicate the flaming boat was none other than €35,000 a week 85ft Princess charter yacht, Gilliana. It is reported the fire – which broke out at 10.30am – was caused by an electrical fault on board.
Photographs on the inferno and pillar of smoke show the boat, moored at what appears to be the end of pier 4, as emergency services attempt to bring the fire under control and prevent it from spreading to neighbouring boats.
Firefighters have now brought the blaze under control, and the two injured crew members have been transferred to the Hospital Costa del Sol.
One crew member, a 50-year-old man, received serious burns to his hands, while another, a 34-year-old woman, had symptoms of smoke inhalation.
Traffic around the port – which is well known for its luxury yachts and celebrity sightings – was brought to a standstill by curious onlookers and the work of the emergency services.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05