In a new eye-health column, Specsavers Marbella boss Leighton Griffiths advises over 60s to get an eye test once a year
OLDER eyes are susceptible to certain changes which can be detected during an eye test… so it really is sensible to get a test once a year, when over the age of 60.
Why should I have a regular eye test?
Some people wait until their vision becomes impaired before having a test. This can be risky because some eye conditions can have few noticeable symptoms until they reach an advanced stage. Make eye tests part of your regular routine.
What problems can affect the eyes over 60?
Cataracts – The lens becomes opaque, blurring vision and even leading to loss of sight if left untreated.
Glaucoma – A build-up of fluid within the eye can increase pressure, which in turn damages the optic nerve. The loss of visual field often occurs gradually and slowly therefore can be difficult to notice and this loss of vision can never be recovered, so prompt diagnosis is essential.
Macular degeneration – In older people, the macula – the centre of the retina which is used for detailed vision – thins and occasionally bleeds. This can lead to distortion, or even loss, of central vision.
How can an eye test identify these conditions?
Modern testing equipment helps opticians see the back of the eye and when an issue is spotted patients will be referred to the right medical professional for treatment.
There are Specsavers stores in Marbella and Fuengirola, visit www.specsavers.es for more details.
- Eyewear by luxury fashion house Kenzo at Specsavers Opticas on Costa del Sol for limited time only - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 12:00
- Take heed of this eye care advice for World Sight Day - 11 Oct, 2018 @ 15:14
- There’s lots to consider when making the switch to contact lenses - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 10:20
- Kylie Minogue launches new range of eyewear with Specsavers - 25 May, 2018 @ 12:12
- Ask the Optician: For the full spec on eyewear from Marbella specialists - 6 Jan, 2018 @ 15:05
- CHRISTMAS WISH: Support the ONCE fundraising campaign at Specsavers Opticas - 9 Dec, 2017 @ 15:12
- All your questions about contact lenses answered - 21 Aug, 2017 @ 09:34
- Ask the Optician – What is Digital Retinal Photography? - 7 May, 2017 @ 16:00
- The leading cause of severe sight loss for over 55s in the western world - 31 Mar, 2017 @ 21:15
- Specsavers: There is a perfect pair of specs for everyone - 5 Mar, 2017 @ 17:36