THE Bank of Spain is on fire, with three workers injured in the blaze.
Reports indicate that the fire has broken out in part of the Madrid bank that is currently under construction, after a small explosion caused by welding.
The bank – in the Plaza de Cibeles – has also been evacuated as firefighters attempt to bring the fire under control.
Emergency services have halted traffic on the stretch of road between the Paseo del Prado and the Calle de los Madrazo.
Three workers have been taken to hospital to be treated for burns, with two of them suffering serious injuries.
Witnesses reported a large plume of smoke filling the sky above the bank.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05