BRITAIN could take Spain to the European Court of Justice over its ‘flagrant breaches of sovereignty’ in Gibraltar.
A six-month ultimatum by the Commons Foreign Affairs Committee required Spain to clean up its act in regards to water incursions and border controls.
The ultimatum has now passed and members of the committee are piling pressure on UK Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond to deal with the issue.
Committee chairman Richard Ottaway said: “We have been a soft touch for long enough.“We told the Government that if there was no improvement in six months, Article 259 of the Lisbon treaty should be invoked, and we should take Spain to the European Court of Justice.
“Well, six months have passed and little has changed: the delays are still going on, Spain is still illegally intruding in British territorial waters and airspace, and Madrid is unwilling to enter into even ad hoc talks with Britain.”
A Foreign Office spokesman added: “We are continuing to take robust action to defend Gibraltar’s interests, including by protesting at the highest levels against continuing incursions into British Gibraltar Territorial Waters and delays at the border, both with the European Commission and the Spanish Government.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36