THE UK’s deputy prime minister ended up praising Spanish character traits after experiencing mixed reactions for referring to his wife as ‘truly Spanish’.
Last week when asked who was more even-tempered, during a joined interview with wife Miriam Gonzalez Durantez, Clegg hesitantly pointed at himself saying ‘Miriam is truly Spanish’.
During Nick Clegg’s weekly LBC radio phone-in yesterday a caller named Manuala requested that the politician explain what he meant by the description.
“Oh dear,” began Clegg, “I’m going to get into trouble with Manuala and Miriam and thousands of Hispanic listeners to the show. Thank you for putting me on the spot.
“That means that the Spanish are a magnificent people and one of the things they pride themselves on is the forcefulness with which they express their opinions and the way in which they don’t hide their emotions.”
The liberal democrat said he thought it is ‘a great, great virtue’ and when the show’s presenter suggested Clegg had meant ‘hot-tempered’ the deputy prime minister retorted: “Wash your mouth out! Wash your mouth out! They are a forthright people.”
In the follow-up to the upcoming general elections Clegg has made a point of saying that it had never crossed his mind to use his wife’s growing popularity as a campaigning tool.
The couple are great advocates of equality within relationships with Clegg saying that not one person wears the trousers in their home and that they do in fact ‘share trousers’.
- Police uncover 36 Egyptian artefacts in Valencia - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 12:00
- Zara boss buys iconic building on Madrid’s Gran Via - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 11:00
- Huge sports complex to open in Sabinillas - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 08:00
- Expat searches for ‘perfect home’ for Costa del Sol turtle - 31 Jan, 2015 @ 11:00
- ‘Tolkien universe’ theme park to open in Rincon de la Victoria - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 17:24
- IMF raises Spain’s growth forecast saying it has entered a ‘virtous circle’ - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00
- Organic success in Marbella - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00
- European Central Bank to buy 10% of Spain’s public debt - 29 Jan, 2015 @ 18:09
- WikiLeaks threaten legal action after Google hand over journalist email data to US government - 28 Jan, 2015 @ 13:47
- Swans talent show stuns audience - 28 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00