A BELGIAN expat has been voted as the new mayor of Alcaucín, Malaga.
Mario Blancke, who has been living in the province for 25 years, previously served as a town planning councillor for four years prior to the mayoral elections in May 2015.
After reaching an agreement with the PSOE, who had hoped to have a mayor in office for two years, Blancke will now hold the position for the full four year legislation period.
The Belgian is also a spokesman for SOHA, (Save our homes in Axarquia) and as a result gained a large expat vote.
He is also said to be popular among the Spanish community due to his substantial contribution to Alcaucín´s urban planning.
Amid other projects, Mr Blanke has spoken of his ambition to ‘give Alcaucín a boost’ and to put Ciudadanos on the map with its first mayor of expat origin.
- Spain’s wealthy class on the rise - 30 Jun, 2015 @ 08:45
- Nerja’s new mayor Rosa Arrabal names her government - 29 Jun, 2015 @ 18:00
- Spain the biggest exporter of wine in the world - 29 Jun, 2015 @ 09:00
- The nifty nispero - 28 Jun, 2015 @ 17:00
- Marbella hospital leads the way with water births - 28 Jun, 2015 @ 13:00
- Spain’s seven wonders of the dining world - 27 Jun, 2015 @ 12:00
- Left to take a selfie in the lift - 26 Jun, 2015 @ 17:37
- Wanda group eyes Madrid investment - 26 Jun, 2015 @ 17:30
- Spain set for soaring heatwave with Malaga seeing temperatures reach 36ºC - 26 Jun, 2015 @ 12:19
- Two Spaniards gored to death by bulls - 25 Jun, 2015 @ 17:55