A YOUNG British expat is campaigning to raise money for refugees in Greece.
Having spent the last two months on Lesbos with his mother, 22-year-old Josh Turner-Hunt is now home in Casares for a new fundraising effort.
Trained as a lifeguard, Josh intends to return to the island to help with the ‘incredible number’ of boats that arrive every day.
He also intends to take over essential supplies and has launched ‘The Big Red Van Project’ to feed and clothe incoming refugees.
“The instability of this crisis is worrying, that’s why mobility is so important, to be where I am most needed,” Josh, originally from Plymouth, told the Olive Press.
“I have converted my van into a mobile kitchen kitted with three big hobs and plenty of industrial sized pots and frying pans.”
He added: “The pain, suffering and humility from those that have journeyed so far from lands torn apart by war is hugely upsetting.
“Yet they show so much love, warmth, dignity and strength that it is truly inspiring.”
Josh, who has lived on the Costa del Sol for 18 years, is aiming to raise €4,500 for his journey back this spring.
To donate visit www.chuffed.org/project/red-food-van
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36