A ROAD-sweeper training to be a lawyer also has his sights set on becoming his town’s mayor.
Multi-lingual Paco Rodriguez Sendra – who has been sweeping the streets of Manilva for seven years – is set to graduate from Cadiz University in July.
The 55-year-old, who is also a qualified priest, is first hoping to get a full time post at law firm Savier Avila, in Algeciras, before going into politics.
Currently undertaking work experience at the firm, he had to reign in his hopes and get a job as a road sweeper when the recession kicked in.
“It was the best way to make money when the recession started seven years ago,” he told the Olive Press. “It’s a decent, stable job and it pays the rent.”
The Pastor at the Church of England’s Christian Brethren Assembly, in Algeciras, added that it had helped to pay his way through his seven-year degree.
The Spaniard, who is a chessmaster and speaks English, Portuguese and French says he now wants to become a lawyer or politician to help people.
“I want to help the local expat communities, the British, South American and French communities… anyone I can help!”
When asked if he will run for Mayor he laughed: “Well I know the Mayor well so that could be awkward, but yes maybe in five or so years if there was that opportunity, I would love that!”
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54