FRUSTRATED Nerja residents took a comical stance against the town hall on April Fools’ Day.
Fed up with the local council for repeatedly blocking applications for live music licences, CoastFM Gold announced that a new mime club was to be opened and that Nerja was in the running for the 2019 European capital of mime.
Recorded as an advert, listeners in Nerja, Frigiliana and La Herradura were told of the opening of Club Los Inocentes which had ‘all the excitement of live music, but none of the ambient noise’.
“It was just a bit of fun,” a spokesman for the radio station told the Olive Press. “We meant nothing untoward by it and were simply picking up on an issue that our listeners could identify with.”
Nerja has been experiencing a number of difficulties recently with the town hall outlawing live music at any venue that doesn’t have a music licence.
One bar owner – who wishes to remain anonymous as he is still applying for a licence – told the Olive Press that it is ‘virtually impossible’ to acquire a licence in the town.
“Hardly anywhere can play live music in Nerja now,” he said. “I understand the law coming in but it is counter productive if it is then virtually impossible to obtain a licence.”
He added: “I have to applaud CoastFM Gold for their advert, it was extremely funny and at the same time the situation is extremely serious.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36