MEMBERS of animal charity Triple A have been charged with trafficking, cruelty and fraud, it has been revealed.
Four people arrested at the Marbella shelter are also accused of misappropriation of funds, acting outside their professional capacity and even being members of a criminal gang.
The Guardia Civil announced that the investigation, launched in November last year, had so far probed 17 staff, some who were not legal.
“Various members of the committee were getting salaries when they were meant to be working voluntarily,” announced a spokesman. They were also getting dinners, lunches and clothes paid for.
Operation Tribet also discovered that funds were wrongly diverted to individuals and, most damningly, various animals were put down with no anaesthetic and in some cases using the wrong dosage, causing further suffering.
On top of this, Marbella’s Court Number 3 is investigating how money that was raised from the sale of ‘valuable’ pedigree dogs, many to Finland and Germany, did not come back to support the charity in Spain.
Triple A representative Lily Van Tongeren said the nature of the charges are pure hearsay and that the charity is still going strong.
She insisted that all the money raised goes back into the charity and only goes to individuals if they have wages.
“I don’t think the city hall would support us financially if we were cooking the books or not operating legally,” she added. “We are operating as normal and taking care of these animals.”
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25