AS if there wasn’t enough great live music available this summer, the town of Coin is jumping on the bandwagon with its own Coincierto Festival.
At a time when the UK has begun to suffer from ‘festival fatigue’ with a number of events cancelled in recent years, Spain seems to have taken up the baton with a relay of new events this year.
Coin’s new one-day festival of live music and art on Saturday May 21 features a great lineup of bands, with headliners The Skatalites returning to southern Spain following their sell-out gig in Benalmadena last year.
The ska band from Jamaica enjoyed their first wave of fame between 1963 and 1965, recording many of their best known songs during this period, including Guns of Navarone. They also played on records by Prince Buster and backed many other Jamaican recording artists of the time. They reformed in 1983 and have played together ever since.
Other ‘names’ appearing on the festival’s six town centre stages are Galician punk rockers Siniestro Total and western rock combo Furia Trinidad.
Joining them are a great selection of bands representing a wide range of musical genres. The long list includes Jarrillo Lata, We Are Not Dj’s, Elphomega, El Cirguero, Malaka Youth, Suit Casual, La Maruja i Otras Hierbas, Briatore, El Zurdo, El Veneno Del Boquerón, Hairy Nipples, Las Ventanas, King Wadada Sound, Soulbelle, Mª Ángeles Tirado e Ismael Chicano, Batucada Sambagua Do Rio, Gabriel Temblante, and Buluc Chabtan.
There is also music and entertainment specifically for kids, along with a craft market and displays of street art.
Entry is free except for the Main Stage headline acts, for which the first 300 tickets will go on sale for just €10 each, after which they cost €12 until May 20 and €17 on the day, available online from www.tiquetin.com
- Local bands, a ‘70s disco star and a dead man walking liven up the coming weeks - 26 Jun, 2016 @ 14:06
- Rock city: Granada takes an enlightened approach to live music - 4 Jun, 2016 @ 12:16
- Roll up, roll up!: The Skatalites and Siniestro Total headline Coin’s Coincierto Festival - 13 May, 2016 @ 13:11
- Get set for Sabinillas Scooter Day on April 23 - 17 Apr, 2016 @ 11:59
- Sevilla gears up for music extravaganza Monkey Week Festival - 21 Mar, 2016 @ 13:15
- Hey mum, where does music come from? - 4 Mar, 2016 @ 17:15
- Ojeando Music Festival unveils the first bands in its summer line-up - 23 Feb, 2016 @ 08:01
- Andalucian music isn’t all flamenco and europop - 11 Feb, 2016 @ 18:52
- New year, new tunes - 4 Feb, 2016 @ 20:29