THE UK Foreign Office has issued a warning to British holidaymakers who engage in ‘balconing’.
The trend, which sees holidaymakers jump into their swimming pools from their balconies or leap from one balcony to another, killed three in Spain last year.
A 34-year-old is currently in critical condition after suffering severe injury to his spinal cord when he attempted to jump into the swimming pool below his balcony.
Will Middleton, FCO Consular Director for Southern Europe, said: “We have already seen a number of very serious injuries caused by balcony falls this summer.
“We really do urge people to avoid taking risks around balconies, particularly if you have been drinking.
“A momentary lapse of judgement can lead to a lifetime of consequences. So think balcony safety, look out for friends and avoid doing anything that might cost a life.”
Along with the Travel Association (ABTA), the Foreign Office created guidelines that would-be ‘balconing’ enthusiasts should follow.
The guide said:
- Never lean over, sit or climb on the balcony wall or railings.
- Don’t try to pass items to someone on another balcony.
- Don’t climb from one balcony to another.
- Never stand on balcony furniture.
- Never jump into the pool from your balcony.
- Take extra care on balconies after drinking alcohol as your judgement may be affected.
The re-issued warning is part of a campaign that began five years ago, but the trend has continued unabated.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19