THE UK Foreign Office has issued a warning to British holidaymakers who engage in ‘balconing’.
The trend, which sees holidaymakers jump into their swimming pools from their balconies or leap from one balcony to another, killed three in Spain last year.
A 34-year-old is currently in critical condition after suffering severe injury to his spinal cord when he attempted to jump into the swimming pool below his balcony.
Will Middleton, FCO Consular Director for Southern Europe, said: “We have already seen a number of very serious injuries caused by balcony falls this summer.
“We really do urge people to avoid taking risks around balconies, particularly if you have been drinking.
“A momentary lapse of judgement can lead to a lifetime of consequences. So think balcony safety, look out for friends and avoid doing anything that might cost a life.”
Along with the Travel Association (ABTA), the Foreign Office created guidelines that would-be ‘balconing’ enthusiasts should follow.
The guide said:
- Never lean over, sit or climb on the balcony wall or railings.
- Don’t try to pass items to someone on another balcony.
- Don’t climb from one balcony to another.
- Never stand on balcony furniture.
- Never jump into the pool from your balcony.
- Take extra care on balconies after drinking alcohol as your judgement may be affected.
The re-issued warning is part of a campaign that began five years ago, but the trend has continued unabated.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33