SPAIN’S Interior Minister is refusing to resign after leaked tapes link him to a smear campaign of separatist politicians in Catalonia.
Jorge Fernandez Diaz is reportedly heard discussing ways to discredit pro-independence parties with Catalonia’s top anti-fraud official.
They are thought to have been recorded two years ago when the region held a referendum on independence from Spain.
Mr Diaz has said:
“I remember having had this meeting, but as for the content of these conversations, I remember the general gist, which was to meet a magistrate that heads up the anti-fraud office of the regional government, whose mission is to fight fraud and corruption.
“To claim that an interior minister is conspiring against members of Catalonia’s government is surreal.”
Leaders of opposition parties have been calling for his resignation since the tapes were leaked on the Publico website.
Hundreds of Catalonians, waving independence flags, st
aged a demonstration in Barcelona yesterday calling for the same.
Acting Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said his colleague had provided a ‘clear’ explanation and that there is no need for him to resign.
He said: “As we’re four days before the end of the campaign, someone is trying to take advantage and fish in troubled waters to see what comes out.”
Spain will hold its general election on June 26.
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16