AN animal rights party in Spain has won a record number of votes in the country’s June elections.
PACMA, founded 13 years ago, received 285,000 votes, accounting for 1.2% of all ballots posted.
Although it is not enough to enter parliament, it is a boost for the group who have long been campaigning for the banning of bullfighting.
“This support proves again the unstoppable growth of the single party that bears the flag defending the animals,” PACMA said.
Spain remains divided between those who support the abolition of the sport and those who want to uphold the age-old tradition.
PACMA has proven instrumental in making authorities in Castilla y Leon to ban the slaying of bulls during festivals, and in persuading Valencia to ban flaming bull runs, which see balls of wax attached to the bull’s horns being set a light before they are released to run through the streets.
The group appears to have amassed a growing support base, more than doubling the 102,000 votes it received in the 2011 elections.
The group said: “These incredible results make the Animalista Party into an unstoppable political force , which grows without measure regardless of the situation and the political context.”
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43