AN animal rights party in Spain has won a record number of votes in the country’s June elections.
PACMA, founded 13 years ago, received 285,000 votes, accounting for 1.2% of all ballots posted.
Although it is not enough to enter parliament, it is a boost for the group who have long been campaigning for the banning of bullfighting.
“This support proves again the unstoppable growth of the single party that bears the flag defending the animals,” PACMA said.
Spain remains divided between those who support the abolition of the sport and those who want to uphold the age-old tradition.
PACMA has proven instrumental in making authorities in Castilla y Leon to ban the slaying of bulls during festivals, and in persuading Valencia to ban flaming bull runs, which see balls of wax attached to the bull’s horns being set a light before they are released to run through the streets.
The group appears to have amassed a growing support base, more than doubling the 102,000 votes it received in the 2011 elections.
The group said: “These incredible results make the Animalista Party into an unstoppable political force , which grows without measure regardless of the situation and the political context.”
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31