SUN-SEEKERS and surfers aren’t the only ones who head to the Costa de la Luz every year.
Sharing the shores are pods of whales which can regularly be seen frolicking in the Straits of Gibraltar.
A number of local companies – such as the best established Turmares Tarifa – take guests on boat trips to see these mammals, with a slant on marine conservation.
The orcas are attracted to the sparkling Mediterranean by the large amount of tasty blue fin tuna, which occasionally brings them into conflict with local fisherman.
“Luckily for us, orcas come here each year to feed,” Andre at Turmares explains.
“On the other hand, that’s not so good for the presence of the Bluefin tuna.”
Andre adds that despite the ‘killer’ name attributed to the most famous whale they are actually ‘harmless to humans’ although they do feed on 32 different mammal species.
Along with the killers, pilot, sperm and fin whales migrate from the Atlantic, as well as three different types of dolphins – common, striped and bottlenose. All of which can be seen during boat trips, depending on your luck!
• For more information visit www.turmares.com
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00