SPAIN’S constitutional court has suspended Catalonia’s pro-independence roadmap.
The region’s parliament had defied the court by debating the roadmap and announcing a vote to consolidate the move towards sovereignty, which saw a 72 – 11 victory for breaking from Spain.
Magistrates have accepted an appeal by the Spanish government which claimed that Catalonia’s Committee to Study the Constitutive Process – the group responsible for designing the strategy towards independence – violated the Spanish constitution when it allowed parliament to vote on the roadmap.
The Catalan Chamber has until August 21 to relay the court’s decision to its members and present any appeals.
The roadmap reads that the ‘only way possible’ for Catalans to be able to decide their future is to ‘disconnect’ from Spain and disobey its institutions.
Madrid is now considering taking legal action against Catalan’s parliament speaker Carme Forcadell, who may have broken the law by attempting to push forward independence plans.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35