A QUARTER of Spain’s unemployed have not worked for four years or more.
A report by the Fedea economic think tank found that between April and June of this year, 1,127,879 of the country’s 4.5 million unemployed had failed to work for at least four years.
The figure has increased eleven-fold since the start of the crisis in 2008.
The report says because unemployment in Spain is at 20%, employers are able to be picky, and tend to opt for younger people who have been out of work for shorter periods of time.
The job creation over the last couple of years has therefore had little impact on the long-term unemployed.
“Companies look at how long people have not been working. If somebody has been out of work for more than a year, then they don’t even consider them,” says Enrique Neguerela of the regional unemployment department of Galicia.
“Somebody who has been out of work for four years needs to be retrained and to be given a job immediately. Training and employment is the only way.”
More than 60% of the long-term unemployed suffer from a lack of skills, having nothing more than a high-school graduation certificate.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35