THERESA MAY has called on Britain to ‘seize the day’ as the UK prepares to invoke article 50 and withdraw from the EU.
Speaking at the Conservative party conference in Birmingham, the Prime Minister labelled Brexit a once-in-a-generation moment to ‘reshape our nation once again’.
She said Britain had been handed the ‘rare chance to write a new future upon the page’ as the Government ends Brussels’ rule and begins to ‘bring power home’.
She said in her keynote speech: “Come with me and we’ll write that brighter future.
“Come with me and we’ll make that change. Come with me as we rise to meet this moment.
“Come with me and together let’s seize the day.”
She said it is everyone’s responsibility to forge ahead and grasp the opportunity, whether they voted remain or leave, adding that a ‘change is going to come’ following the vote, which she described as a ‘quiet revolution’ in Britain.
She said: “A revolution in which millions of our fellow citizens stood up and said they were not prepared to be ignored anymore.
“Because this is a turning point for our country. A once-in-a-generation chance to change the direction of our nation for good.
“To step back and ask ourselves what kind of country we want to be.”
The speech was May’s first conference speech as Tory leader since replacing David Cameron, who she thanked for the ‘change’ he brought to the Conservatives.
But she said the party must ‘change again’ and shed its out-of-touch image.
She said: “We the Conservative Party truly are the party of the workers, the party of the public servants, the party of the NHS.”
She went on to blast the SNP and Jeremy Corbyn for being divisive figures in UK politics, and vowed to keep the Union together.
“We are one United Kingdom – England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland – I will always fight to preserve our historic Union,” she said.
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37