RACIST, anti-religious and homophobic abuse incidents rose by 41% in the month after Brexit, new figures reveal.
Some 3,886 such crimes were reported in July 2015, climbing to 5,468 during the same month of this year.
The Home Office said the sharp increase declined in August but has ‘remained at a higher level than prior to the EU referendum’.
The total number of hate crimes in the year 2015-2016 was up 19% on last year, with 62,518 offences reported to the police.
Some 79% were motivated by race hate, 12% by sexual orientation, 7% by religion, 6% by disability and 1% were transgender hate crimes.
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37