Trevor Hart, 70, had to wrestle with the creature – which weighs an incredible 14 stone – for 45 minutes before hauling it out of the water with the help of his son Nick.
Nick said: “My dad has been fishing all his life but the biggest fish he caught before this was a 16lb pike. He usually fishes in Chesterfield in the local pond.
“The fish was bigger than my dad. He’s 6ft tall and weighs about 60kg but this fish is 90kg. It was very comical really.
“He was looking at the fish as if he’d won the lottery. It was a dream come true. It was really exhausting and he was knackered for the rest of the day. He needed a big sit down and a beer.”
The Derbyshire lads had got the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander before driving to Mequinenza in Aragona for a four day fishing excursion on the River Ebro with Monster Catfishing Tours.
Nick had caught his own monster catfish the day before, weighing in at 11 stone, but said his dad was thrilled to have beaten him.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40