PODEMOS leader Pablo Iglesias has insisted it was a matter of ‘good luck’ that a fellow party member made €20,000 profit on the sale of a subsidised home in 2010.
News of the sale has caused public fury as Ramón Espinar, who was not a Podemos senator at the time, has been an outspoken critic of speculating on public housing.
Espinar admitted that he bought the home in Alcobendas, north of Madrid, and resold it just months after signing the title deed, earning him profits of around €20,000 after tax.
But Pablo Iglesias said that Espinar simply got lucky when the price of public housing increased between 2007 – when he made his first down payment on the apartment – and 2011.
Official government sources have also confirmed that Espinar failed to sign up to the Young Housing Program, which is a requirement for people wishing to apply for a subsidised home.
Podemos leaders have closed ranks around Espinar, playing down the sale and claiming the news frenzy is part of a media conspiracy.
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49