PODEMOS leader Pablo Iglesias has insisted it was a matter of ‘good luck’ that a fellow party member made €20,000 profit on the sale of a subsidised home in 2010.
News of the sale has caused public fury as Ramón Espinar, who was not a Podemos senator at the time, has been an outspoken critic of speculating on public housing.
Espinar admitted that he bought the home in Alcobendas, north of Madrid, and resold it just months after signing the title deed, earning him profits of around €20,000 after tax.
But Pablo Iglesias said that Espinar simply got lucky when the price of public housing increased between 2007 – when he made his first down payment on the apartment – and 2011.
Official government sources have also confirmed that Espinar failed to sign up to the Young Housing Program, which is a requirement for people wishing to apply for a subsidised home.
Podemos leaders have closed ranks around Espinar, playing down the sale and claiming the news frenzy is part of a media conspiracy.
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20
- Endangered rhino, lion, hippo and tigers part of more than 200 species found at illegal taxidermist in Spain - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 11:26