PODEMOS leader Pablo Iglesias has insisted it was a matter of ‘good luck’ that a fellow party member made €20,000 profit on the sale of a subsidised home in 2010.
News of the sale has caused public fury as Ramón Espinar, who was not a Podemos senator at the time, has been an outspoken critic of speculating on public housing.
Espinar admitted that he bought the home in Alcobendas, north of Madrid, and resold it just months after signing the title deed, earning him profits of around €20,000 after tax.
But Pablo Iglesias said that Espinar simply got lucky when the price of public housing increased between 2007 – when he made his first down payment on the apartment – and 2011.
Official government sources have also confirmed that Espinar failed to sign up to the Young Housing Program, which is a requirement for people wishing to apply for a subsidised home.
Podemos leaders have closed ranks around Espinar, playing down the sale and claiming the news frenzy is part of a media conspiracy.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29