CONVICTED people smuggler Stephen Jackson is ‘desperate’ to speak to Spanish police after being linked to missing expat Lisa Brown.
British yachtsman Jackson faces extradition over the disappearance of Scottish mother-of-one Lisa Brown, who has been missing for a year.
Police in San Roque are keen to talk to Jackson over his links to Lisa’s boyfriend Simon Corner, who was tracked down to Denmark earlier this year after going AWOL.
Corner, 34, is currently in an Algeciras jail while police conduct their investigations.
However, Jackson, 50 – who is currently serving a two-year sentence in Lewes Prison, Sussex for smuggling 17 Albanians into the UK on his yacht – can not be extradited until his jail stint is up in October 2018.
Instead he wants investigating Guardia Civil officers to travel to the UK so he can ‘clear his name’.
His lawyer Charles Long told the Olive Press Jackson had already given Spanish police a statement in December 2015 and then again in January, without being summoned.
“Stephen went to the authorities in San Roque voluntarily after Lisa disappeared to tell them everything he knew,” Long said.
“He gave them information on Corner and those connected to him. As far as he was concerned the police were done with him.”
He added: “Stephen would welcome the opportunity to be eliminated from their enquiries as soon as possible. He remains completely unaware of the reasons for the extradition request.
“At the moment, the investigation cannot move forward until Stephen’s release: the last thing we want is for the investigation to grind to a halt.”
Long, from Edward Hayes law firm in London, has now written to the Crown Prosecution Service in the UK to request a Guardia Civil representative contacts him to arrange an interview with Jackson in the UK.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36